SCOE was appointed in June 2018 by 2017-2018 ALA President Jim Neal. Appointments were made to intentionally solicit a wide variety of perspectives and ALA experiences. The diversity of the committee is exemplified in a number of ways including but not limited to: type of library, role/type of position within the library world, years as a member of ALA, member leader role, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and gender. This broad range of experiences and connections to ALA members at many different points of intersection has been seen as a strength of the committee, helping to inform it’s discussions and decisions with input from members.
Our guiding principles:
- Develop strategies for increased member engagement
- Identify ways to improve alignment across the organization
- Balance reliability, speed and quality
- Balance effectiveness and efficiency
- Ensure structures and processes are built to support continuous improvement
- Ensure structures and processes support equity, diversity, and inclusion